Tuesday, January 12, 2010

White Chili

Ok so there is kind of a funny story behind this little recipe, and I promise I will branch out beyond soup and chili. So, there was this party at work and I signed up to bring soup thinking I would try this new recipe. Well, I learned an important lesson late Sunday night.....when you are cooking for 10-15 people don't try a new recipe! I attempted to double this recipe which could have been a problem because I have a tendency to forget to double everything. Anyways, when I tasted it Sunday night I didn't like it and was too embarrassed to take it to work for our Monday party. So of course Monday morning I woke up super early and went to the grocery store to buy the ingredients for Old Faithful...Can Soup. I didn't want to waste all the White Chili so hubby and I had it Monday night. So crazy, it was actually pretty tasty. Not the best white chili but not horrible. I am still in search of a good White Chili recipe but here is the one that didn't make the cut for work but still pretty good. 





White Chili
Serves 4, Prep Time...depends on how long it takes you to cut chicken into cubes and cut an onion :)
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
1 onion, chopped
1 1/4 cups chicken broth
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilis
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
Green onions and Monterey Jack Cheese are great toppers!


Directions
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken and onion until onion is tender (5-6 min)
2. Stir in the chicken broth, green chilis, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, cilantro and cayenne pepper. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes
3. Stir in the beans and simmer until chicken is no longer pink and juice run clear, approximately 5-10 minutes

-Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment