Saturday, May 8, 2010

Sweet Beer Bread

I've been wanting to bake bread for the longest time. I mean you aren't really a suzie homemaker until you know how to make bread right? Well, I guess I'm a half suzie homemaker now that I've made beer bread. Why half? Because there is not need for to knead and rise, knead and rise. All you do is combine 3 ingredients and pop the dough in the over. So simple! The only trick to this bread is knowing what you want before you make it. If you want something light, try a light beer. If you want to make it heavy and yeasty (is that a word?) use a heavier darker beer. If its spring or summer try a flavored beer like strawberry. And if it's fall, try a pumpkin flavored beer.  I used a dark ale beer and it turned out so good. The hubby thought it was te best bread he had ever tasted! Hope you enjoy!



3 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup white sugar
12 oz. beer
1/4 cup of melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine first three ingredients in a large bowl. Pour into a greased 9x 5 pan. Put in oven for 45 minutes. Take bread out and pour/brush butter over bread. Bake for 5 more minutes. You will know when the bread is done when a toothpick comes out clean.

What I learned
1. Making bread can be so easy.
2. Beer bread makes for great toast in the morning.

-Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment