Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tofu and Vegetable Stir-Fry

Can I just say how much I love Chinese food. I don't really know why...maybe it's because my maiden name is Wang but I could have it for every meal!  Luckily I married a man who has the same love for Chinese food. We have made/tried several stir-fry combos but this was one of our favorites. I found this combination in a Food Network magazine.




Tofu and Vegetable Stir-Fry
Adapted from Food Network Magazine
12-ounce package extra-firm silken tofu, cubed
1 egg white
2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 cups Stir-fry vegetables (I cheated and bought the pre-cut frozen, you could do all kinds of fresh vegetables)
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon soy sauce
3 tablespoons oyster
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 cloves mixed garlic
1 tablespoon minced ginger
2 minced scallions
pinch of salt and sugar (each)

1. Whisk one egg white, 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine and 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Toss with the tofu; cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
2. Drain the excess marinade from the tofu. Heat 1/4 inch peanut or vegetable oil in a wok or skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu and cook until brown on both sides - do not stir. Transfer to a plate; discard the oil and wipe out the pan.
3. Heat the pan over high heat, 1 to 2 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons oil, then 2 cloves minced garlic, 1 tablespoon minced ginger, 2 minced scallions and a pinch each of salt and sugar; stir-fry about 30 seconds. Add the vegetables, starting with the ones that take the longest to cook; stir-fry until crisp-tender.
4. Add the tofu and sauce then stir until the sauce is thick and the vegetables and protein are cooked through, about 3 minutes. Thin with chicken broth if needed. Garnish with sliced scallions, peanuts, or sesame seeds.

Things I learned:
- Do not stir tofu...you can see in the picture it gets a little mushy and breaks apart
- Forgot to get ginger at the store..to replace use cinnamon and nutmeg with paprika

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this recipe. I like it because it was vegetable and I'm sure that I can eat a lot of rice with this.

    stir fry recipe

    ReplyDelete