Monday, April 12, 2010

Applesauce & Cinnamon Cupcakes

As a wedding present I got this awesome cookbook called 500 Cupcakes. This was the first recipe I tried and I was super impressed. They are more like muffins though and make a great breakfast. You can also change or add whatever you would like. Any kind of nuts, raisins, or.... well I'm still new to this, whatever else you would add to cupcakes/muffins. I made some with and without pecans (not a raisin kind of girl) and I will say I prefer with the pecans. This was a great recipe and I will be using this cookbook a lot more!


Applesauce & Cinnamon Cupcakes
Adapted from 500 Cupcakes, makes 1 dozen
1/2 cup (1 stick) sweet butter, softened
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp. superfine sugar
1 cup self-rising flour
2 eggs
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup (3.5 oz) chopped pecans
1/2 cup (3.5 oz) golden raisins
1 small red eating apple, thinly sliced
2 tbsp. granulated sugar


1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan (or use paper cups). Place the butter, sugar, flour, and egg in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and pale, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the applesauce, cinnamon, pecans, and raisins.
2. Spoon the batter into the cups. Lay the apple slices on top and sprinkle with a little sugar. (**see below for apple slices)
3. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove pan from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Then remove the cupcakes and cool on a rack. Serve warm.
4. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.

**To slice the apples I used an apple divider and then sliced them a couple more times until they were thin enough

-Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment