Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas

I feel some shame as a type this post. I don't know if it is more because my last post was "Microwave Poached Eggs" or because my last post was September 5th. I will say I have been cooking BUT some of those recipes will not be shared. Let’s just say they weren't the best! Anyways, with that said I have a very delicious recipe to share today. My husband has been requesting enchiladas for months and I was a little scared to attempt these. I changed a few things to make them "healthyish" but they were incredible!!! AND if you buy a Rotisserie chicken like I did....not too time consuming. So here goes, after 1 1/2 months away from the kitchen I present to you......Chicken Enchiladas!



Chicken Enchiladas
Adapted from All Recipes
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (or a Rotisserie Chicken)
1 onion, chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/3 cup chopped green pepper
1 clove garlic minced
3/4 cup cheddar cheese
8 (10 inch) flour tortillas (we used wheat tortillas made fresh at Central Market)
1 can (10 oz) Enchilada Sauce
1 cup of your choice salsa (can make it mild or spicy)
1 cup sour cream (I used fat free)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium, non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook chicken until no longer pink and juices run clear. Drain excess fat. Cube the chicken (I just shredded from the Rotisserie Chicken) and return it to the skillet. Add the onion, sour cream, cheddar cheese, parsley, oregano and ground black pepper. Heat until cheese melts. Stir in salt, green pepper, garlic, enchilada sauce and salsa.
3. Pour some enchilada sauce on the bottom of the pan. Roll even amounts of the mixture in the tortillas. Arrange in a 9x13 inch baking dish (seam side down). Cover with remaining sauce and 3/4 cup cheddar cheese. Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.

Things I learned:
- Worth it to skip cooking the chicken and just buy the Rotisserie
- You could really add anything you wanted (or take away anything) with this recipie and it will be delicious!

-Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment